Health Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
I recently discovered some amazing health benefits that come from drinking Apple Cider Vinegar and I thought I would share.
First off let’s talk about how Apple Cider Vinegar is made. It’s made by fermenting the sugars from apples, turning them into acetic acid which is the active ingredient in vinegar. This is done in a two-step process. First step exposes the crushed apples (apple cider) to yeast which causes the fermenting and turns the sugars into alcohol. In the second step, bacteria are added to the alcohol solution causing the alcohol to further ferment and turn it into acetic acid which is the main active composite in vinegar.
You may have noticed that some Apple Cider Vinegars contain the “mother” This is usually listed in organic, unfiltered brands and is basically strands of proteins, enzymes and friendly bacteria that give the product a dark, foggy appearance.
Here is a list of just a few of the many health benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar.
- Studies have shown, that ACV can increase the feeling of fullness and therefore aid in people eating fewer calories and help them in their weight loss journey.
A recent study of 175 people with obesity showed that daily consumption of Apple Cider Vinegar led to reduced belly fat and weight loss
- Lowers blood sugar levels and helps fight diabetes
- Lowers cholesterol and can help improve heart health
- You will have more energy efficient muscles. Due to the potassium in vinegar which is one of the seven essential minerals in your body that is responsible for giving your body an energy boost, ACV helps fine tune muscle control and sense of touch. Some research on rats have found that the acid in ACV helps your muscles turn carbs into energy.
- Can help protect against Cancer. In a study on mice, the fermentation process of ACV formed a neutral alpha-glycan content which was able to decrease cancerous cells. Although it might be different for humans, it’s a good sign! Also worth mentioning, in a recent observational study, consuming vinegar showed a decrease in esophageal cancer.
Apple Cider Vinegar has been shown to be able to slow or stop cancer growth but it’s not the magic cure for something as dangerous as cancer.
Regardless of all the great things about Apple Cider Vinegar, you must remember it is still vinegar and therefore acidic.
You must dilute it with water if you are going to be drinking it and know that it can erode your teeth due to the acid. Your best bet is to drink it with a straw.
Results may be different for each individual and some may turn out to be bogus. The world of ACV is still new and there is a bunch of stuff we still don’t know about it.
Despite all this, ACV is still a hidden gem that is much loved by many!
(Always speak to a healthcare professional before trying anything new, this post is meant to give some information, not as a prescribed method of treatment for any ailments)